Most people will experience trauma in their lifetime whether it’s a car accident, abuse or neglect, the sudden death of a loved one, a violent criminal act, exposure to the violence of war, or a natural disaster.
While many people can recover from trauma over time with the love and support of family and friends and bounce back with resiliency, others may discover effects of lasting trauma, which can cause a person to live with deep emotional pain, fear, confusion, or post-traumatic stress far after the event has passed.
In these circumstances, the support, guidance and assistance of a therapist is fundamental to healing from trauma.
According to the four types of symptoms listed in the DSM-5
- Avoiding specific locations, sights, situations, and sounds that serve as reminders of the event
- Anxiety, depression, numbness, or guilt
- Intrusive thoughts, nightmares or flashbacks
- Anger, irritability and hypervigilance
- Aggressive, reckless behavior, including self-harm
- Sleep disturbances
Negative Mood and Cognition Symptoms
- Loss of interest in activities that were once considered enjoyable
- Difficulty remembering details of the distressing event
- Change in habits or behavior since the trauma
Research has proven psychotherapy to be the most effective form of treatment for trauma. As a Certified Clinical Trauma Professional (CCTP), my primary goal for your therapy is to help you to begin to feel safe as we move at a pace that feels comfortable for you. We will introduce education and techniques designed to help with regulation and relaxation of your autonomic nervous system and your body. Though it is not always necessary, we may move toward processing your trauma through cognitive behavioral techniques (CBT). This process begins to integrate painful memories and intrusive thoughts into a safer personal experience, with the ultimate goal of a more rich, meaningful life.
If you or someone you know match the trauma symptoms listed above, I am confident that I can help and invite you to contact me today for a free consultation.